Tuesday, January 12, 2010

DANCING THROUGH LIFE

A professional dancer may take offense to my title, but the word and the application of it, succinctly express my view of how people navigate and interact in our world. There are many ways to approach my view: from the way people walk, to the way they banter back and forth in a conversation. Some people prefer to “dance” alone, and others can only “dance” with another or in a group. So let’s talk about “dancing”.

Here is the general definition provided by Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance
Definitions of what constitutes dance are dependent on social, cultural, aesthetic, artistic and moral constraints and range from functional movement to virtuoso techniques. Dance can be participatory, social or performed for an audience. It can also be ceremonial, competitive, or erotic. Dance movements may be without significance in themselves, or have a gestural vocabulary/symbolic system. Dance can embody or express ideas, emotions or tell a story.

I entered several posts on January 3. All are the words of others, but point to topics that recently came across my mental desk for review. I put them out there for the rest of you to investigate, digest, ignore, or whatever. In any case they are pertinent to “dancing through life” through my eyes. This forthcoming dance of words is going to take on the form of a story: my story.

The concept of “dancing and how it applies to my life, and maybe yours” has been rolling around in my head since I first overheard the term from someone who was defining an interchange between two people. The person said, “Oh, it’s just your dance.” It was a random comment, but one that stuck with me. I am not an overly social person, but I had never heard this concept defined using the term “dance”. From that point forward, I started to pay attention to my interaction with people in general and people as individuals.

One of the beauties of young children is that they do not have facades. The adage “what you see is what you get” really applies. This reminder came home to me a few weeks ago, and on several occasions since then, during our weekly video calls with granddaughter number one. She is at a very expressive age and stage, 14-18 months, and our video chats are great for seeing expressions and actions relating to our queries and comments. Since her understanding of vocabulary is vast and her speaking of words is increasing, we are constantly encouraging a performance of her latest accomplishment or new vocabulary word. So, a few months ago, in an effort to have her demonstrate that she knew where her feet were and who they belonged to, we said, where are your feet”? Her response was an action. She put a very disgusting frown on her face and turned her back to us. Laugh all you want. We did. But, how would we react to this same response at age 4, 15, or even 50?

I was sharing via email with my best and oldest friend, recently. While I would opt for regular and timeless opportunities to engage in sharing with my friend, I am always slipping in emails here and there. It is rare that I just sit down and write an organized, well thought out, message.

My friend’s reply to my latest email has stayed with me since:

Processing....and lots to process....

“As I do that I will report to you that your emails often mirror an observation of mine about you, that you are quite adept at storing up any number of topics and holding them in suspension until you are prepared to discuss them; at which time sometimes you let them dribble out, and every now and then you let them come gushing out all together! The prerogative of royalty.”

Here is my reply:

“Just returned from the dentist. A crown is in order, but I have been privy to that knowledge since Thanksgiving. I have started to read “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho. I found this book among a stack that belongs to my son. Perhaps it will provide solutions to this ailing soul that oozes and gushes. ;-) “

This is our dance. I love our dance because I always come away with a smile and a challenge.

In keeping with my friend’s observation, I am going to suspend my story for now. I will pick it up in the next blog. Comments are welcome. The more dances and dancers the better!

1 comment: